So it should really count as an August update. Even if the timestamp is prepared to lie to you all. Really. It was in August.
And... things happened over the summer. Lots of things. There were parties; there was Buffy (two seasons of it... and I fear I'm actually willingly going back for more); there was Tales of Symphonia and a little bit of Kingdom Hearts (the first one); there was a trip to MN elsewhere mentioned. There was dancing, and a dearth of dates. There was the advent of journals--I'm on the Journal of Law and Social Policy, for the few of you who read this and don't know. There was OCI (with five interviews on the first day, eleven in the first week, two the following, one of which was cancelled and subsequently made up by phone--that might have been my best interview. Particularly with all the lovely brusque stationary I've been getting of late. Bah.), and now there is waiting by a phone I carry around with me, not getting callbacks. There was carpetbombing of Minneapolis with resumes, which as yet to produce results, but hopefully will soon. I hope. And there has been the spinning of much, umm... horse puckey. In a number of ways.
Also, there are classes, and fun related to that (I forgot to bid in the first round of bidding, so had much fun and point-related expense in getting my classes for this term). They started today, and I had three of them (I have a MTW schedule, and four-day weekends that will hopefully be productive). First was Environmental Law, which was actually kinda fun (I never thought I'd say that about a class where we talked about why pollution might not always be bad--or, rather, law & econ--Coase, and the Tragedy of the Commons), and taught by a very nice older gentleman with a strong muppety streak, but not the strongest of all the profs I've had. That's MTW. Then there was Ideas of the First Amendment, in which I knew how I would feel about a case when I saw the words 'Justice McReynolds concurs in the judgment,' and which produced an admirable quote. Well, a number of them. Actually, both of these classes have, but anyway: (on human sacrifice and the First Amendment) 'If you could show that the state's homicide laws were adopted purely to stick it to the Aztecs, then we would strike down the homicide laws and let the Aztecs go to town.' That is a MTW class. Finally, I had Computers and the Law, which is being taught now for the fortieth year running. Two hours, in the evening, taught by a practicing attorney who used to teach programming to students in the first couple sessions of class to show 'how dumb computers are.' He likes to talk, a lot. It will be a fun class, both because of and despite that. This class is only on mondays.
Tomorrow is Children in Conflict with the law, wherein I might be reading A Clockwork Orange (again)--unclear, because there's no syllabus yet. Again, only Tuesdays, this. This means I have four day weekends (five this coming week, due to Labor Day).
Then I went dancing tonight. And I believe Laura arrives tomorrow! I'll not see her until Wed. or so, but it is a glorious thing. And I will drag her dancing, too.
Now, though, I think I am going to go read my enviro homework and go to bed.
http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=cache%3AugZ2MzNkfe8J%3Akevinunderhill.typepad.com%2FDocuments%2FOpinions%2FBradshaw_v_Unity_Marine.pdf+%E2%99%AB+147+F.Supp.2d+668&hl=en&gl=us&pli=1
(Happy now, Cara? Bah.)
No comments:
Post a Comment