Friday, October 30, 2009

One paper down... (aka end of October)

I just finished my third and final paper for Ideas of the First Amendment, on Darwinism and the First Amendment. This means that I have, now, under sixty pages to produce in the next seventeen days. There were seventy-plus (forty minimum for my Comment, of which I've written two, and twenty-odd for Computers and the Law, of which I've written nothing). That's what I've been up to for a while. And that's what I will continue to be up to until a) I die, or b) I finish.

There have been a smattering of concerts. Habeas sang several, and I believe I talked about those, and the Matt Alber concert I had in between. More recently there was a Jonathan Coulton concert (he did a Flood concert, because TMBG was doing the same somewhere else in the city on the same night--with Paul and Storm, his opening act, on a week's notice, and it sounded better than recordings I have of TMBG as far as musicality goes--but also did various of his own songs.), with the lovely Laura Stratford, which was just incredibly fun. There are more. Habeas will be singing again at the SFPIF auction on (I believe) the 19th. On the 24th, Laura, Morgan, Mal and I will be going to see Imogen Heap, which promises to be fabulous.

Last night was the SFPIF halloween party, which was... well, yeah. I dressed up as a vampire (no fangs, because they were hard to acquire and were passed off as retractable). There was a tuxedo shirt, suit pants (because I don't own tux pants), dress shoes, cummerbund, my red/black bow tie, studs and cufflinks involved. And it was all an excuse to wear my cape. The only other celebration of Halloween that will happen for me aside from this will be seeing Hocus Pocus tonight at Bergy's.

Before that, there was an event put on by OUTLaw--a panel discussion by members of the reasonably newly formed Alliance of Illinois Judges, a group for gay judges in IL. All in all, it was a really interesting panel, and we were told how to become judges, should we want that (I do. Oh god, I do), and we were told bits of history in general, and how each of the panelists got to where they are. One of them, when I talked to him afterward, suggested I call him soon to talk about the States' Attorney's Office, where he worked for fifteen years prior to sitting on the bench, and getting me a job there.

In other news, I still don't have a job. Working on that. Got two snail failmails today, both from firms that had e-failmailed me before. I love being redundantly failed. Really I do.

It is drizzly, grey, and wonderful out here. If only my apartment weren't borderline overheated. Now, back to writing papers--moving on from Darwinist interpretations of the First Amendment to the Duty to Defend at a state level, and how the WI AG is a tool. In the far future (after next sunday, I mean), there will be pages and pages on prostitution and murder arising from Craig's List, and the latter's liability for the former.

"I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description; and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it, and the motion picture involved in this case is not that." 378 U.S. 184, 197 (1964)

No comments: