Monday, October 6, 2008

Life no Longer on Hold (1 of 2, I think): Two Weeks Past

First things first: my story got updated. If you want to, go check it out (link on the sidebar). Two short sections, one long section, miscellaneous edits (feel free to keep those coming, those of you who do), and a bit of an order switch up now that I've figured out what my story's format (as far as sections are concerned) will be.

So. Stuff. Classes are proceeding apace--still only one scheduled midterm, even though I know there will be three. We've finished Pleadings, in Civ Pro, and are embroiled in Chain of Title problems in property (I've decided that I need someday to live in MA so I can create in my property a fee tail, just to be a pain in everyone else's ass). Crim goes in its meandering fashion--we're dealing with attempts and impossibility (at least, we were most of last week, and will continue a bit this week), and Contracts has moved on to acceptance. CLR (legal writing, for those of you who don't know), continues to suck as much as it can--I'll be doing a group research project on something involving the Fair Use doctrine, and spend this coming weekend rewriting a memo. I hate citations; the feeling is mutual. We use pseudonyms for our papers so that grading can be blind and we can still get our papers back--the first set were from the X-Files, and the current set are from the Wire. I had to wikipedia the names I chose based on phonetic aesthetics in order to figure out that I landed a villain each time.

So. Starting the Wednesday before last, because that's when events seemed significant. Michelle and I went down by bus to see Dave VDL (a guy in Habeas and my CLR section) sing at the M Lounge. He's an excellent singer, and his (three-piece: keyboard, bass, voice) band's alternate name is hilarious: Jazzhands Across America. He did a variety of Sinatra, my opinion of whom you all likely know; he also did excellent renditions of The Way and So It Goes. Much fun was had, even though cider was cheaper than water at the little bar. We ignored the two-drink minimum, and no fuss was made. Several of us bussed back up, chatting all the way--topics included, and were largely limited to, school, Habeas, and boys.

Thursday had Ethiopian food. A large group of us, headed up by Bergy and Michelle (there were seven of us in all) and her cousin (also Michelle), went North on the Red Line to not-quite hell and gone, because Bergy declared about a week prior that he wanted Ethiopian. I had never before experienced Ethiopian, but more or less managed to disguise my ignorance. First, it was delicious. Second, the honey-wine was like a poor man's Dolce (my uncle's dessert wine), but less reminiscent of raisins, and a bit thicker. Third, the meal itself was an adventure, as a) we ate with our hands (as is done), aided by the spongey, rolled-up bread (think a cross between pita and sourdough, the color of wet public-bathroom paper towels), b) the food was unidentified, and varied in spiciness from tame to mouth-burning, and c) there were bones in select portions. Michelle had to finally rip apart the baked chicken before people started going after it. Conversation and company were animated and lively. Bergy and Dan split off to head to bar review, which evidently was less than stellar, and the rest of us got off the El at our relative locations (I walked Michelle's cousin back to her hotel, with a minor detour to get lost because I am not yet a native, with interesting and useful conversation the whole way). A good night.

Friday was somewhat of a wash. I had to get up early in order to get a tetanus shot over at the hospital, conveniently two doors down from the law school because my old doctor didn't have the last one on record. Surprisingly, it was the least painful shot I had ever had (at least, the injection portion of it was... being tetanus, it started to suck shortly thereafter). Better yet, because I was a student, they decided to decline to charge me. I got the record faxed in and thereby avoided being charged $100 for lack of documented vaccinations. Dicked around after classes before going up to Joe's for a little hangout with other OUTLaw members before going over to Sidetrack for the LaGBAC (Lesbian and Gay Bar Association of Chicago) Meet the Bar event (yes. Law has lots of bar puns). I skipped out of that a bit early--handing Morgan my extra drink ticket, for which he was vocally grateful--in order to go to Michelle's debate party. I found out, only after having left, that she'd cancelled due to a few people bailing and a cranky husband. So I went home and wrote and watched the debate on my own. That marked the second time I have turned on my television.

Saturday consisted mostly of work (I think. As you might gather, my memory these days seems limited to what needs to be done soon, what necessary things were done earlier, and what significant events happened. Reading, studying, cleaning, procrastinating... none of these are significant events unless they somehow otherwise affect my life beyond preparation for class and sleep deprivation). Verity had a get together at her place, for which Kathy and I met up and walked most of the way there. We were not the first to arrive, but only one person had come before us. Thus, we got to have the bulk of her delicious food--particularly the Risotto balls (stuffed with some sort of creamy cheese--possibly something camembert-y). She also fed us chicken satay (which recipe I need), and homemade pizza. Dessert was a meringue and whipped cream concoction with strawberries involved, and was incredible. Josh and Tim showed up later, as well as a few other LLM-types. For some reason, the main topic of conversation kept coming back (aside from all the necessary talk of school) to eating disorders and bulemia. Much horrendous fun ensued. Afterward, Josh went off to some thing he didn't particularly want to go to, and Tim, Kathy, and I made our way home by the El. The U-Pass is possibly the greatest thing ever ($90 at the beginning of the term--mandatory--for a card that makes all public transportation free for the year. I will so be getting [my] money's worth out of this).

Sunday was rather quite low-key. I talked to my dear darling wife for tax purposes over in Botswana, and learned that Cara is, in fact, still alive--and now even has housing. I went over in the early afternoon to borrow a movie from Bergy, which turned into lunch as well. A good time. Came back, read for forever, and then watched the movie once I forced my computer(s) to bow to my will. The movie in question was 'The Bad and the Beautiful', an old B&W flick in three parts, each of which painted part of an increasingly full picture of a producer. The movie was well done, and interesting, and a brilliant character portrait. A bit melancholy, but thought-provoking. Still undecided on whether or not I liked the movie itself. And now I have to go get my books for Civ Pro, so I'll leave off here, only a week behind.

Professor Redish on Compulsory Counterclaims: 'What're they going to do if you don't file the compulsory counterclaim? Hmm? Shoot you? What'll they do? Make you listen to Sarah Palin's voice all day?'

No comments: