Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Yeah, I suppose I do need to post something here

Even if it is a post telling you all that very little is going on in my life except school and staving off sickness (where is Nik and his witchery when I could use it?). In any event, yes. School. It takes my time. I am now next year's treasurer for Habeas Chorus (hah. Haha. Hahahaha. Yes, you heard me right: I'm the treasurer of an a capella group), which ended up being settled because even though I had been challenged to a duel for the presidency (and, as the challengee, got to choose weapons, and offered my standby that I think I stole from Max--handgrenades; one pace), I decided I didn't care as much as she did. JR, our new president, offered to buy me several drinks by way of thanks--I told her to buy me a book instead. So Neal Stephenson's Anathem should soon be mine.

As for the rest, there has been dancing. A reasonable amount of it. There has also been an unreasonable amount of CLR. I won't even get into the contract drafting module except to note my incredulity at the knowledge of that woman (ista femina, for those who know the significance of it) actually had clients and didn't either garner their intense scorn or send them screaming from her office. But yes. Writing a brief kinda sucked. Also, fuck FCRA. Fuck it with a stick. We are not friends, it and I (clearly).

It is winter, in Chicago, which means that it's cold (except, not really. And there's no snow. I'd now like to register another complaint at the weather. It's been snowing at my altitude tonight, but I know that it's rain at street level, so I'm disappointed), and that the whole world is sick, and illness cross-contamination is becoming pandemic. So, I begin to fear I may be laid low by the microbial cohorts. Also, I wish I had time to write. It's getting to that time again where sanity will need preservation by way of words.

Upcoming things: writing the other side's brief, which will suck more, because it's a full brief (I really hope it's only one argument, but fear it may be both, which might kill lots of my classmates); planning a LARP alla murder mystery party (not of the 'lightning bolt... lightning bolt... lightning bolt... sleep!' variety) with Bergy; part of spring break up in the cities (the bus tickets have been bought. I arrive in MPLS ~8, I think, on the 16th).

For the rest, boys are dumb, books are happy (I stayed up until 5:15 AM this past saturday reading The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss, which may have become--about ten pages in, and moreso as the book progressed--my favorite book of the past several years, easily), and there needs to be snow on the ground. But none of these general things are new.

Torts quote: 'It was a snowblower. She put her hand in it. This seems dumb.' My muppet-esque (seriously--strong resemblence to Bert of Sesame Street) prof on a case we were reading for that day.

Post-script: satisfied, Max?

3 comments:

Max said...

Sleepy dragon go wakey wakey!

... err, prob bad choice of terms on my part. Thank God I still have my beard...

Draskireis said...

I don't think you need worry quite as much, anymore (except about your lovely girlfriend): she's in Japan, and married, what's more.

Ben said...

Ha! I am also going to have to steal that choice of weapons, should I ever be so challenged.

I'm surprised you don't have snow - did that huge storm that hit us on Thursday miss you?

Also, I've heard good things about Anathem. It's definitely on my list, after the next Dresden Files!