So, tonight I went to a concert. My ears are not ringing, though by all rights they probably should be. It was a percussion quartet of former Northwesterners (I found out, at the concert--I'd found the thing itself on Chicagoist), and it was really kinda awesome. Tonight had a political theme--e.g. the first piece, called 'Speak Softly' involved four large sticks of varying lengths, and drum sticks for each of the four players. Carrying of (and banging on) big sticks ensued. Another piece was rhytmically in unison, called The Worker's Union, and written by a socialist who wanted to apply the concept of socialism to music. It could be played on any instruments, so long as they were loud; pitches were similarly nonspecific. One of the instruments was the soundboard from an upright piano, another was a marimba (I think--I'm not up to snuff on my percussive instruments), another included a small set of drums including a bass drum sideways on a stand and a set of plumbing pipes and was rounded out with some metal kitchen containers, and the last was a glockenspiel--which, incidentally, are much fucking louder than I'd thought they might be. There was a little Q&A session afterward, during which time I found out there was a reason I'd recognized the girl in front of me (particularly her scarf and bun): she had gone to Carleton. So that was a bit trippy. I walked the 3ish miles out there, and took the El back, and now I need to get back to Con Law.
I have no legal quote for you today. My apologies.
1 comment:
Sounds amazing. And loud. Percussion is special, for some reason I can't place, it astounds me when people can put rhythms together and it turns into music.
Post a Comment